I really like chocolate chip cookies and cupcakes and wedding cake (but only with buttercream icing) and well…, just about anything sweet. My precious little Grandma passed away in September 2016 and she gave me something early on in my life that I don’t think I’ll ever forgive her for (sorry Grams)…a sweet tooth.
She gave me a sweet tooth that’s caused me to gain, oh.. let’s see, about 10 lbs (or more) in the last 2 months.
Ok. Let’s just be honest. I’ve gained like 20.
20 freaking stupid pounds.
Good thing I’m in Colorado, where an active lifestyle is the norm, right? Colorado ranks as the 8th healthiest state and Oklahoma ranks as the 6th unhealthiest state. How’s that for a major change? For those that are new to this little blog, we just moved from Oklahoma to Colorado in August 2016. But don’t worry. We’ve already been hiking and skiing since we moved and I am pumped about doing it more!
But can I be real? ..I’ve been in a personal valley. And valley’s for me tend to cause the numbers on the scale to climb.
I’ve lost inspiration.
I’ve lost passion.
I’ve lost zeal.
Here’s the thing. I’ve been busy. And thank God for it because it’s caused me to be distracted, which is good. So we’ve moved to an entirely different state, remodeled a home that we purchased that would’ve been HALF THE COST in Oklahoma but I’m not bitter (okay maybe I’m a little bitter) and since we adore having guests, our house has been full of family and friends visiting. All of this in the last 5 months.
But, whether I’ve got an excuse or not, the fact remains:
I’m in a valley, and it’s time to get back up on the mountain.Going through valleys are normal, but we have to know when to get back up on the mountain.… Click To Tweet
I’ve got to get my passion, zeal and inspiration back. And believe me, I’ll get it back. I will get it back.
We all go through seasons like this, don’t we?
And it’s okay.
My little family of four have been through a lot in the last year. There’s been so much that I can’t even talk about here publicly. But it’s been a lot, believe me. And all of you- you’ve been through a lot too, haven’t you?
But we have to get back up.
We have to recognize that it’s okay to go through stuff; and we have to get back up.
Can I let you in on a little secret? Valleys are hard, and yes, it’s important to get out of them…but it’s in the valleys where God does His best work in us. Do you know that? It’s where he plucks the weeds out and grows us.God does His best work when we're in the valleys. #fiercelyHis Click To Tweet
So, how am I getting back up and getting out of the valley?
I’m so glad you asked!
These are very simple steps. Please know that sometimes therapy is necessary as are other tools depending on how serious the valley is. Below are just simple steps to help you get started.
- Recognize the need– the first and maybe most important to getting back up is recognizing when you need too. Remember- we all go through valleys in life! God never promised us that we wouldn’t. But he DID promise us that He’d always be there with us.
- Stay tuned to God. If you can’t read your bible than talk to God. If you can’t talk to God than read your bible. If you can’t do either than surround yourself with people who do. Listen- that’s HUGE. Get counsel from others that you trust who are tuned in to God.
- Read my #fiercelyHis series. Seriously you guys. Not too long ago I wrote an article about being Fiercely His. It’s my mantra. My life’s theme. I recently re-read all the articles that some amazing blogger friends wrote to go along with the series. WOW> can I just say, what a blessing they have been to me lately! Stop, grab ya a cup of coffee and read them! I promise you won’t be sorry!
- Think about your family. Get up for them. For no other reason, do it FOR THEM. Because they deserve YOU. And you can’t be YOU when you’re down. You’re the glue that holds the whole operation together. So get up!
- Remove all the clutter from your life and LISTEN to what God is saying to you. For me personally this has been HUGE. I firmly believe that God just kind of kicked me out of Oklahoma in order for me to de-clutter my life. Life isn’t about “stuff.” Life isn’t about my house, the clothes I wear or about the friends I have or don’t have.
- Quit worrying what others think. Why do we worry about that?? It’s one of the dumbest things we do.
The only people whose thoughts I need to worry about are:
- The last and final step. JUST GET UP. Move your legs, take the steps and go. Go get in the shower, put some moisturizer on and go get ya some coffee. Go do something nice for someone else. Just do something.
I’m excited about what 2017 has to offer me, but mostly I’m excited about what I have to offer 2017.
The mountains are in sight y’all.
No, really. I can step outside on my balcony and see the Rocky Mountains in clear view. What an analogy. I know God’s been shaking His head. The pictures of me on His instagram account lately all have the hashtag #smh. Seriously.
I’ve been in a valley but the mountains are in clear view.
Before I go I wanna let you in on a little secret. There’s a word that’s been banging around in my head.
Stay tuned and I’ll tell ya why later, but here’s a little teaser:
LOVE YOURSELF. Every single bit of it.
But for today, GET UP. Let’s move y’all!
I love with every single one of ya!
Let’s do 2017, shall we?
Let’s kick it’s bootie!
I love hearing from you! Please take a minute to say ‘hi’ and share your thoughts below. It’s been too long y’all, so let me know how you’ve been!
Also, would you do me a favor —if you resonate with this article or it has helped you today— would you share it with someone else? Maybe a friend, coworker, or family member…?
You might also enjoy: